Are you tired of soggy sandwiches and bland trail mix for breakfast while camping? It's time to elevate your camping breakfast game with homemade biscuits! Cooking biscuits while camping may seem daunting, but with the right ingredients, equipment, and know-how, you can enjoy warm, flaky biscuits in the great outdoors.
In this blog post, we'll take you through an easy step-by-step guide for preparing delicious, fluffy biscuits over an external heat source like a fire or charcoal grill. We'll go over everything from the ingredients you need to have on hand, to tips for getting that perfectly cooked consistency every time.
So roll up those sleeves and let's get cooking: it's time for some outdoor biscuit-baking fun!
Ingredients required to prepare biscuits
When it comes to ingredients for camping biscuits, it's important to keep in mind that you'll be cooking in a non-traditional kitchen setting. This means that you'll want to select ingredients that are non-perishable and easy to pack, so you don't have to worry about them going bad during your trip. Some great options include:
- All-purpose flour: This is the base for your biscuits and can be easily stored in a resealable bag or container.
- Baking powder: This is what will make your biscuits rise, so don't leave it behind.
- Salt: A little bit of salt will enhance the flavor of your biscuits.
- Cold butter: This will be cut into the flour to make the biscuits flaky. Cold butter is important so it doesn't melt while you're mixing the dough.
- Milk: You can use any type of milk, but non-dairy milk like almond or oat milk is a good option if you're camping with someone who has dietary restrictions.
- Honey or sugar: This is optional but it will give your biscuits a nice sweetness.
- Dried herbs or cheese (optional): These can be added to give some extra flavor to your biscuits.
It's also important to note that you'll want to measure your ingredients as accurately as possible, as there is often less room for error when cooking in an outdoor kitchen setting. Having a small kitchen scale and measuring cups and spoons on hand can be very helpful.
When it comes to equipment for camping biscuits, you'll want to select items that are portable, easy to clean, and can withstand the heat of a campfire or camp stove. Some essential equipment to include on your camping trip are:
- Dutch oven or cast iron skillet: These are great options for cooking biscuits over a campfire or camp stove. Dutch ovens can also be used to cook stews, soups, and other meals. You can also prepare delicious biscuits on stove pipe ovens!
- Biscuit cutter: This will help you make uniform biscuits that will cook evenly.
- Tongs or a spatula: These will be useful for flipping the biscuits over and removing them from the cooking surface.
- Oven mitts or potholders: These will protect your hands from heat when handling the Dutch oven or skillet.
- Mixing bowl: This can be any bowl that is sturdy and can withstand the heat of a campfire or camp stove.
- Measuring cups and spoons: These will help you measure your ingredients accurately.
- A small kitchen scale: This will help you measure your ingredients accurately, especially if you want to make a larger batch of biscuits.
It's also a good idea to pack a few extra items such as aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or plastic bags to store and transport the dough, and a small brush for cleaning the Dutch oven or skillet. With the right equipment, you'll be able to make delicious biscuits even in the great outdoors.
Preparation is key when it comes to cooking biscuits while camping. To start, gather all of the ingredients you will need, including flour, baking powder, salt, butter, and milk.
When selecting ingredients, it's important to consider packability and non-perishability. For example, using powdered milk instead of regular milk will last longer and take up less space in your camping gear.
- Once you have all of your ingredients, it's time to make the dough.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Use your hands or a pastry cutter to blend the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add in the milk, stirring until a dough forms.
- To make transport and storage easier, you can roll the dough out and cut it into individual biscuits, 1/4" inches thick before leaving for your camping trip.
Cooking biscuits while camping can be a little bit tricky, but with a bit of practice and the right equipment, it's definitely doable. One of the most traditional methods of cooking biscuits while camping is using a campfire or
Using a Dutch oven.
- To cook the biscuits using a campfire, you will need to set up a tripod and hang a Dutch oven from it, making sure that the oven is suspended above the fire at a safe distance.
- Once the oven is hot, place the biscuits inside, and cover them with the lid.
- The biscuits should be cooked in about 10-15 minutes, but it's a good idea to check on them every 5 minutes or so to ensure that they don't burn.
Using a cast iron skillet.
- Preheat the skillet on the campfire and add some butter or oil to the skillet.
- Once it is hot, place the cutout biscuits in the skillet and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Flip them occasionally, until they are golden brown.
Using a Stove Pipe Oven
- Preheat your stove pipe oven, to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and place them inside the preheated stove pipe oven.
- Bake the biscuits for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Finally, allow the biscuits to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy your biscuits with butter, jam, honey, or any other toppings you like.
Biscuits are a classic and delicious addition to any camping trip. They are easy to make, versatile, and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Whether you're using a campfire, Dutch oven, or cast iron skillet, with the right ingredients, equipment, and techniques, you can create perfect biscuits every time.
Cooking while camping can be a great way to bond with your family and friends and make lasting memories. We hope that this article has provided you with all the information you need to make your next camping trip a success.
If you're looking for more information on the best cookware for baking your biscuits while camping, we have several articles on the topic, so be sure to check them out. Don't wait, plan your next camping trip and try baking some delicious biscuits, you will not regret it!