A tarp is an essential piece of camping gear. It can be used as a groundsheet, a sunshade, a shelter, or even a makeshift stretcher in an emergency. But with so many different sizes and shapes of tarps on the market, how do you know which one is right for you?
In this blog post, we'll help you choose the best size tarp for your needs and give you some tips on how to use it properly. Keep reading to learn more!
Size Matters when it comes to Choosing a Tap
When choosing a tarp for camping, size is one of the most important considerations. You need to make sure that the tarp is big enough to cover all the gear you need it to, but not so big that it's cumbersome to carry. Here are some rough guidelines to help you choose the right size tarp for your needs:
For 1-2 people: 10 ft x 10 ft (3 m x 3 m)
For 2-4 people: 12 ft x 12 ft (3.6 m x 3.6 m)
For 4-6 people: 14 ft x 14 ft (4.2 m x 4.2 m)
For 6-8 people: 16 ft x 16 ft (4.8 m x 4.8 m)
Of course, these are just rough guidelines. If you have a lot of gear or plan on using your tarp as a shelter, you may want to go with a larger size. Conversely, if you're only using your tarp as a groundsheet or sunshade, you can probably get away with something smaller.
The Shape of the Tarp Matters Too
In addition to size, the shape of your tarp is also important. The two most common shapes are square and rectangular, but there are also other shapes of tarps available.
Square tarps are the most versatile type of tarp. They can be used as a groundsheet, tarp shelter, or even as a makeshift table or chair.
Rectangular tarps are great for creating an extended sleeping area or living space when camping. They can also be used as a windbreak or sunshade or create a tarp canopy.
Hexagonal tarps are ideal for creating a sheltered cooking area or living space when camping. They can also be used as a windbreak or sunshade.
Octagonal tarps are great for creating an enclosed living space when camping. They can also be used as a windbreak or sunshade.
All these tarps come in a variety of sizes, from small 2-person tarps to large 8 or 10-person tarps. When choosing a square tarp, make sure to pick one that is large enough to comfortably fit all the gear and people in your group.
Also, check out our article on Winter Tents with Stove Jacks
How to Use Your Tarp Properly
Once you've chosen the right size and shape tarp for your needs, it's time to learn how to use it properly. Here are some tips:
1. Always stake down your tarp before setting it up. This will help keep it from blowing away in the wind or being pulled away by animals.
2. If you're using your tarp as a shelter, make sure to set up the ridgeline first before attaching the tarp to it. This will help ensure that your shelter is strong and sturdy enough to withstand bad weather conditions.
3. Be sure to leave enough slack in the fabric when setting up your tarp so that it doesn't sag in the middle when it rains or snows.,
4. In order to prevent water from pooling on top of your tarp during a storm it's important to angle the edges slightly so that the water, runs off.
5. When taking down your tarp, be sure to clean it off first so that dirt and debris don't get caught in the fabric. This will help prolong its lifespan.
Also, check out our article on Cliff Camping
A tarp is an essential piece of camping gear that can be used for a variety of purposes. Not just for camping, but they are in general, versatile gear to have. With proper care and storage, your tarp will provide years of service on all your future camping adventures!
And if you are in the market and looking for the best camping tarps, we have got just the article for you. With our selection of the top carps, you will definitely have a comfortable camping experience.
Just tap the button below to check out our top picks, and get one (or more) of our top choices for your next adventure.
Also, check out some of our other short reads: