How to Store Shovels and Rakes: Digging Into the Best Solutions
Discover the best way to store shovels and rakes without sacrificing your sanity. Learn about store-bought and DIY storage solutions with tips on space, accessibility, protection, and organization. Get organized now with our expert guide.
Shovels are essential tools for a variety of tasks, from gardening and landscaping to construction and snow removal and even camping. It’s important to store shovels properly so they stay in good condition and last longer.
Even though camping shovels are portable and lightweight, if you have a few of them and also shoves and rakes for gardening, they can be tough to store, making them a dreaded task for many.
If you're tired of sacrificing your sanity for your shovels and rakes, it's time to take control. In this article, we will share with you the best way to store those annoying shovels and rakes without sacrificing your sanity.
Whether you prefer DIY solutions or store-bought products, we have you covered with practical and effective ideas that will keep your tools organized and within reach. So, let's get started and bring your order to your garage or shed!
The Basics of Shovel and Rake Storage
When it comes to storing your shovels and other garden tools, it's important to think about a few factors. Let's break each of these down:
· Space: How much room do you have to work with? A large garage may have plenty of room for a freestanding rack, while small spaces inside a shed may require a more compact solution like wall-mounted hooks.
· Accessibility: How often do you use your shovels and rakes, and do you need them to be easily accessible? If so, you'll want to choose a storage solution that puts your tools within reach without requiring too much effort to retrieve them.
· Protection from the weather: If you live in a rainy or snowy area, it's important to protect your tools from the elements to keep them in good condition. Consider storing your tools inside a shed or covering them with a durable tarp if you keep them outside.
· Organization: Last but not least, keeping your shovels and rakes organized is key to avoiding frustration and making the most of your storage space. Consider labeling storage areas, keeping a checklist of your tools, and storing tools in order of frequency of use to keep things neat and tidy.
How to Store Shovels and Rakes
There are many possible solutions available when it comes to storing shovels and rakes - here’s a look at some popular options:
· Wall-Mounted Racks: If you have limited space, wall-mounted racks are perfect for hanging multiple items together while allowing easy access when needed. These racks come with a variety of hooks that can be used for different tool sizes.
· Freestanding Racks: These vertical storage solutions offer more room than wall-mounted ones, giving more flexibility when it comes to organizing your tools. They make use of vertical space by placing different-sized tools on separate shelves, making them ideal if you’re lacking floor space in your shed or garage.
· Hanging Hooks: Hooks on walls or even nails directly into wood surfaces can be used as makeshift rafters from which to hang various gardening tools including shovels and rakes. These save valuable floor space while still providing easy access when needed!
· Garden Sheds: Sheds are an ideal way of organizing all your gardening essentials in one place while also offering additional protection from the elements such as rain or strong sun exposure that might damage certain tools over time. Plus, a high-quality outdoor shed comes with lockable doors which prevents curious animals from getting inside!
· Repurposed Furniture: Don't forget about repurposing old unused furniture around the house - cabinets or safes, bookshelves, benches, dressers, or even a ladder can be turned into useful storage solutions with some creativity! Utilizing drawers for smaller tools such as trowels is also great since they don’t take up much space but still allow for convenient organization.
DIY Storage Ideas
If you're looking for more creative storage ideas, why not try DIY projects? You don't need a complicated system with a built-in pulley system or complicated joints. Here are some simple yet effective DIY solutions that won't break the bank while still adding character to your garden shed or garage:
Using recycled pallets makes this project super quick to complete and surprisingly cost-effective – just remember to treat them properly with protective varnish before using them outside!
Simply mount multiple pallets together into a vertical gear storage against a wall (or horizontally on ceiling space!) or just nail or screw them together for a free-standing unit. Once finished these make great rustic-looking shelves that look just like reclaimed wood!
PVC Pipe Racks
PVC pipes are a versatile material that can be used to make all sorts of DIY projects, be it hanging your string lights or making storage solutions.
All it takes is a bit of drilling (with a basic hand drill), mounting onto walls/the ceiling using fixings/clips, followed by attaching funnels (used on either side of each pipe ) before sliding objects inside – voila! Now doesn’t that sound like an incredibly simple way of creating unique shelving units?!
Tip: Similar structures can also be built to store your fishing rods & reels if you don't have a dedicated case for them.
If you've got an old tire lying around, why not put it to good use as a tool storage solution? Cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the tire, attach some hooks, and you've got a unique and practical storage solution for your shovels and rakes.
Old Ladder Shelves
An old ladder can easily be repurposed into handy shelving units – no matter how large/small it may already be. Just lean against your garage wall or any corner spaces, then stack whichever items you desire – very useful plus looks quite nice too!
Additional Tips For Storing Shovels
In addition to choosing the right storage space and gathering necessary supplies, there are some additional tips that can help keep your yard tools safe while they’re being stored away:
Clean and dry your shovel before storing it away; this will help prevent rusting over time
· Wrap your shovel blade in a protective material such as burlap; this will help protect it from any bumps during storage
· Hang your long-handled tools on wall hooks; this will help keep them out of the way while still being easily accessible when needed
· Label shovels and other tools; this will help make it easier to find the right tool without having to search through all of them in cluttered spaces.
· Organize your tools in a specific order [by frequency of use, by type (gardening, carpentry, etc.)] and keep a quick reference list of all your shovels and rakes. This will help keep them easy to find and use when needed.
Following these simple tips, you can ensure that your garden shed or garage remains organized and efficient for years to come. So don't hesitate - to get started on your storage solutions today!
Storing your shovel properly is essential for keeping them safe and ensuring they last longer. Whether you opt for a store-bought product or a DIY solution, ensure it meets your needs in terms of space, accessibility, protection, and organization.
And if you're an outdoorsman, be sure to check out our article on the best camping saws. Whether you're a seasoned camper or a beginner, our comprehensive guide has got you covered.
So what are you waiting for? Head on over and check out our article on the best camping saws today!